International Blood Donor Day is celebrated on June 14th each year.
A few words about blood
- Every day, around 1,000 blood transfusions are performed in Israel to save the lives of the ill and injured.
- Because blood transfusions cannot be stored for an extended amount of time, they must be administered on a routine manner; there must be enough blood to meet demand.
- Because there is no alternative for human blood, blood donations are essential.
Blood donations and COVID-19
- COVID-19 confirmed cases can give blood seven full days following recovery confirmation.
- Confirmed and recovered contacts are eligible to give blood, but they must produce a negative antigen test result obtained three full days following exposure.
- Unvaccinated persons or people who were never infected can give blood after 5 days of isolation, but they must produce a negative antigen test result obtained five days after exposure.